In cooking, pork ribs are often the cut pieces of mixed meat and bones altogether. Pork ribcages are famous for a series of cooking, including smoking, grilling and baking with equivalent sauces and supplementary veggies. Rib baking in other words can be cooked as barbecue with fast sauce served.
Selection of fresh and delicious ribs is crucial in making the final flavor of the rib-based dish. This recipe can go well with both baby and spare ribs. However, baby and spare ribs are different in the following aspects:
- A baby rib is the rib which will be taken from the top of the ribcage. Baby rib has more meats either between the bones or on top of the bones. Baby rib is shorter and curved than spare rib. A good baby rib should be cut into 5-7cm.
- A spare rib is the rib which will be taken from the sides of the ribcage, therefore, it is flatter and less meat.
A delicious and yummy steamed pork ribs will not much depend on the types of ribs as pressure cooker is going to soften all even the hardest ribs. Therefore, home cook will base on their family taste and preference to choose the suitable types of ribs for this recipe.
- 500 g pork ribs for 2
- 4 cups of water/or bone steamed sauce (750 – 1000 ml)
- 1 corn, peeled, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped as square cube
- 1 small lotus root, sliced (2-3 cm)
- 3 fresh slice of ginger, pressed
- 2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- Salt and pepper
- Natural oil/or olive oil
- Fish sauce (if suitable).
Clean the pork ribs thoroughly, cut into usable pieces. For cleaner, the pork ribs can be boiled in 1-2 minutes to remove all dirt and dust exterior, but do not affect to the flavor.
For strong flavor, pork ribs can be soaked with salt, pepper and some pressed garlic and ginger and leave for 10 minutes before being pressure-cooked.
Clean all the veggies, chop as equivalently.
- Pre-heat the pressure cooker by adding natural oil. Choose the function of “Soup/Steam”
- Add the ginger and onion and stir them for 1-2 minutes
- Add corn, carrot and lotus root and 4 cups of water to start softening the veggies
- Cover the top of the pressure cooker and turn the heat to the highest until it reaches pressure cooking level
- After 10 minutes, lower the heat and adjust the time cook for more than 15 minutes
- When the time is over, turn off and move the pressure cooker to other places in the kitchen counter.
- Open the release bolt to let the pressure come out naturally (better to leave it for 15 minutes)
- Add 1 or 1 and a half more cup of water if the remaining water sauce is lower
- Season the steamed sauce with salt, fish sauce and pepper
The final dish will be served with sweet and gentle sauce in light brown color sauce. The ribs and veggies are tender, not too tough or so soft or melting.
Optional seasons (salt, pepper, chili sauce or powder) are available to enhance the flavor to satisfy all kinds of tastes. Fresh chopped onions on top for decor. Best served with rice or eat alone as soup.